Early life and family
Chavan completed his Bachelor of Arts from Madras University and LL.B. from Osmania University. He started his career as an advocate. He initiated the Student's Movement and gave up practice of law during the 'Quit Court' Movement in the former Hyderabad State.
He was elected to Bombay State Assembly from Dharmabad in 1957 and to Maharashtra Vidhan Sabha from Dharmabad during 1962 election and from Bhokar during 1967, 1972 and 1978 elections.
His son Ashok Chavan also served as chief minister of Maharashtra. His daughter-in-law and Ashok Chavan's wife, Ameeta Ashokrao Chavan currently represents Bhokar in Maharashtra Vidhan sabha.
Membership of Various Legislative bodies
• Bombay State Legislative Council, 1956
• Maharashtra Legislative Assembly, 1960–80
• Lok Sabha, 1980–84 and 1985–86
• Maharashtra Legislative Council, 8 July 1986 – 21 October 1988
• Rajya Sabha from Maharshtra 28 October 1988- 2 April 1990, April 1990 - April 1996 and April 1996 - April 2002
• Committee on Rules, Rajya Sabha, 1992–96;
Shankarrao served as chief Minister of Maharashtra on two separate occasions.
• 21 February 1975 – 16 May 1977 - This coincided with The Emergency declared by prime Minister, Indira Gandhi.Sanjay Gandhi,the son of the prime minister became the power behind the throne and Chavan had to meet Sanjay first in order to get an appointment with the prime ministe
• 12 March 1986 – 26 June 1988
• Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi
• Shri Sharda Bhavan Education Society, Nanded
• Committee on Human Resource Development, Parliament of India
• Ethics Committee, Rajya Sabha
Written By: Mitesh Singh
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of politiconation.in . The writers are solely responsible for any claims arising out of the contents of this article.